Figure Drawing Classes, Workshops, Open Studios
900 art schools, studios, and groups in the United States and Canada
Since 2009, this directory has listed art schools, ateliers, and studios where artists can paint, sculpt, or draw live art models.
Life Drawing groups come and go, and schedules change, so it is wise to confirm with the organizer before attending.
Please report any defunct groups or broken links to directoryartmodelbook.com
See submission guidelines if you would like a free listing.
Los Angeles ·
O.C./San Diego/I.E. ·
Bay Area ),
Increase attendance by promoting your sessions in this directory.
To add a free listing for your figurative art classes and open studios,
please email the following information to directoryartmodelbook.com
with the name of your group in the subject line.
If your organization offers more than one class or session,
please submit one listing, and explain the various offerings in the description.
- Name of Group/Organization
- Street address of drawing workshop location
- City, State/Province, Zip/Postal Code. (Zip/Postal code is used to sort geographically.)
- URL, Email and/or Telephone for prospective attendees to obtain more information
- Instructed or Uninstructed
- Description: 100 words maximum, plain text. Include any pertinent
information such as regular meeting day and time, whether models are nude or costumed, gender of models,
length of poses, equipment provided (benches, easels), fees, atmosphere, etc. If you are seeking
new art models, mention that here. Please write as a long-term description—do not include enrollment
deadlines or course dates—to avoid your listing appearing obsolete quickly.
PLEASE DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS -(STOP)- THIS IS NOT A TELEGRAM -(STOP)-
Submissions deemed off-topic or unverifiable may be excluded. The focus of the directory is
figure drawing—nude, costumed, or street clothes.
Listings may be edited for length, clarity, format, or redundancy.
Listings are free. A reciprocal link is always appreciated.
Long Live Life Drawing
Open studio sessions are an economical way to practice drawing from life.
• Winnipeg Sketch Club has been
sketching from live models since 1914.
• Friday Night Open-Figure Drawing has been a resource in Milwaukee for over 50 years.
• Taos Open Figure Drawing Group has been meeting for over 35 years.
• Florence Hill has hosted the Figure Drawing Co-op in Minneapolis since 1976.
• Basic Inquiry in Vancouver BC was established in 1983.
• Rene Farkass has held life drawing sessions in Denver for over 20 years.
• Open Figure Drawing Inc. has met on Wednesdays in Syracuse since the late 1980s.
• Mendocino Figure Drawing Collective has been meeting since 1989 at Mendocino Art Center.
• The Etobicoke Art Group has been meeting since 1951.
• Sandy Hill Life Drawing Workshop in Ottawa has been meeting for over 35 years.
• Established in 1992, Spring Studio hosts figure drawing 7 days a week in NYC.
The Art Model's Handbook: The Naked Truth about Posing for Art Classes and Fine Artists • by Andrew Cahner
ISBN-13: 978-1-442-16969-2 • ISBN-10: 1-442-16969-9 • Distributed by Ingram. • Available from
• Contents of this site ©2009-2015. All rights reserved.
Painting on book cover: “Trois Couleurs Noir.” Oil on canvas. © 2004 Antoine de Villiers. Used with permission.